Millage Goals and Evaluation
The ongoing goals of the Ready by Five Early Childhood MIllage are to:
- Increase early learning opportunities and child health by increasing access to quality programming for expecting mothers and children ages 0-5 in Kent County
- Increase cross-sector collaboration between providers to ensure families are being connected with needed services in the form of a warm handoff through referrals and data sharing
- Reduce outcome disparities across specific target populations by ensuring culturally relevant services that are inclusive of all populations as well as supporting programs that serve traditionally underserved community members based on their racial or ethnic background, zip code of residence, or cultural factors
In 2021, a third-party evaluation component will be added to Ready by Five. The intent is to evaluate the Ready by Five initiative as a whole, not to provide program evaluations for individual programs awarded funding. Ready by Five has a comprehensive interest in improving equity for marginalized demographics, especially communities of color and families in households with incomes at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
In addition to considering group-based factors, the system invests in programs that contribute to what has been identified as four “contributing indicators” of kindergarten success, including:
- Parents will have increased access to resources and information
- Mother’s health and wellbeing
- Children are developmentally on track
- Children are healthy
The evaluation will analyze Ready by Five data and new data developed by the contracted evaluator to determine the impact of these funded services.
By identifying economic benefits that can be persuasively and rigorously traced to Ready by Five, the evaluation will show stakeholders how investing early has a significant impact on our youngest residents in Kent County and ensures they have an opportunity for a bright future.