"Our Changing Families" A Conversation Guide
After viewing "Our Changing Families," here are some conversation prompts to use with your students:
- When you were growing up, who did you consider the members of your family?
- What was your family structure? How was it the same or different from the other families in your community?
- Are there families that aren’t represented here?
Talking about our changing families:
- Why is it important to educate our children about different types of families?
- Why does it matter how adults react to different types of families?
- How can we teach children to support and appreciate their friends with different types of families?
- What can we do with children who are unsure about their own family structure? How can we build their self-pride regardless of family structure?
Conversation Starters after Salvador’s Story: (4:20)
- Is there a time when you went out in public, at a restaurant, where you felt out of place?
- Questions around representation in the media?
- What are ways we can normalize differences around race and culture?
- Why do you want to be a teacher?
- What ideas have you come up with about how to help your future students develop pride?